BBEDC has put forth a constant effort to provide training scholarships to residents who want to improve and enhance their skills through either short or long-term training programs. BBEDC believes this investment of building a qualified workforce that is postured for available jobs within the region and state is a major step in building a healthy economy for our region.
BBEDC accepts Voc/Tech applications from CDQ residents who are seeking financial assistance for vocational training. BBEDC will prioritize training at facilities in-region (preferred provider- Southwest Alaska Vocational Education Center), in-state and last, within the continental United States. Applicants must demonstrate in writing, why any training outside of the region is necessary.
In order to qualify for BBEDC Voc/Tech Program funding, the training must meet at least one of the following criteria:
- Fisheries-related training directly related to the fisher's operation, including industry-related skills training or training that could lead to entry into a Bristol Bay commercial fishery as a crewman.
- Full-time vocational/technical education program leading to a nationally recognized certification, license or degree that could lead to direct employment in the vocation.
- Job-readiness training that would provide new or enhance current employment skills for those unemployed with the goal of increasing employability.
- Employer mandated training that would result in continued employment, a direct employment advancement or pay increase with said employer (funding limited to $2500 per year).
- Continuing education training to maintain certifications that are required for current occupation.
Community/Group Training Fund
Funding is offered to BBEDC village, city and borough governments and accredited or known training providers to provide training opportunities that are fisheries related or deemed capacity building for BBEDC CDQ residents seeking new or enhanced skills related to their fishing operations or primary employment.
For more information on vocational programs offered by BBEDC, contact Charlene Lopez at 842-4370 or 1-800-478-4370.